Let’s face it; today’s generation of children is becoming more and more dependent on technology such as iPads, smartphones & computers. How can Family Entertainment Centers compete with this? It’s hard enough for parent’s to get kids off of the couch & out of the digital world; let alone into your FEC center. In fact, in a study by Common Sense Media they found that 38% of kids under the age of 2 use tablets or smartphones and children up to the age of 8 are using tablets 5 times more than they were two years ago.
In an article by IAAPA’s “Fun World Magazine” they discuss some good ways that an FEC can remain relevant in this turbulent time of technology. Here are some of the things that they suggested (and also a few suggestions of our own):
- Create experiences at your FEC center that can’t be replicated at home. For example don’t just fill your Family Entertainment Center with Arcade video games…they can play those at home. Add basketball shoots, table hockey, laser tag anything to keep them challenged and having fun.
- Host competitions/tournaments to get them competing with their peers in the real world instead of just on the video game screen.
- Make sure your FEC is active on social media. Site’s such as Facebook, Twitter & Instagram to name a few are very popular with today’s youth and even older individuals as well.
- Having a website is a must. Your website should showcase all of the unique experiences your Family Entertainment Center has to offer. If it doesn’t look worth their time on the website they are less likely to take time out of their busy schedules to come and visit your center.
- Make “Family Days” with special promotions encouraging the entire family to come out to your FEC and spend some quality time together.
Funworld Magazine. “The Singapore FEC Market”. http://www.iaapa.org/news/funworld/funworld-magazine/the-singapore-fec-market
The Cut. “Study: 40 percent of kids use iPads before they can speak”. http://nymag.com/thecut/2013/10/40-percent-kids-use-ipads-before-speaking.html